Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sun, Surf - and Art - in Provincetown, Cape Cod

While I'm trapped at home thanks to Tropical Storm (formerly Hurricane) Irene, I've had a chance to review and post the photos I took during last week's visit to Provincetown, Massachusetts.
20110821_020
20110822_068
20110822_044

It was essentially my first time visiting P-town (lunch there one October day 18 years ago doesn't count), and the Cape welcomed me with near perfect weather. The photos shown here are just a few of the 46 I've posted to my flickr account.

Provincetown has an extensive and long-running art scene. There are tons of galleries, and many artists either live or spend part of the year there. I had a chance to visit the Provincetown Art Association and Museum (PAAM) in the East End. This charming little museum has several interesting shows up this summer, including a major exhibit by Judith Trepp, a wonderful collection of drawings by Will Barnet and a fascinating photography exhibit by Mona Dukess.

Also in PAAM's collection were some wonderful white-line, or "Provincetown" prints by Blanche Lazzell and Ellen Ravenscroft. I'm eager to try my hand at white-line printing. If I can get to the studio today, I might start right away.
20110823_088

I didn't get to as many galleries as I would have liked (couldn't skip a chance to be at the beach in that wonderful weather!), but especially appreciated the work of Michael McGuire at his gallery, and also the work of Megan Hinton at the William Scott Gallery.

It was a great visit and I can't wait to spend more time there in the future!

No comments: