Friday, September 11, 2009

Arizona Drawings

I am forever bring art supplies on trips with me, but don't always actually complete any pieces. I like the idea of working "en plein air" (not sure if one should really apply this term to drawings), but I'm often too distracted to get the kind of results I want. The trick may be to find a medium or technique that works for me.

So, with that in mind, and presently obsessed with lines as I am, I gave felt-tipped markers (do they really use 'felt' - as in wool felt - in these things?) a whirl. In this case, "Zig" pigment ink markers made by the Kuretake Co. of Japan served my purposes. I completed one drawing on each of my two big hikes in Arizona over the weekend.

First, we have the Grand Canyon. Needless to say, isn't "grand" an understatement? How about "stupendous," or "mindblowing" or "fucking amazing?" Let's stick with understatement and say, in all New York coolness, that it was sweet.
Grand Canyon abstracted (D20090905)
The drawing you see here was inspired by the view from a spot called Cedar Ridge, on the Kaibab trail. One is repeatedly reminded NOT to attempt to get to the bottom of the canyon and back in a day trip. Cedar Ridge was suggested as a good spot to turn around. It didn't seem like I'd gone very far when I got there, but I'm glad I took the official advice: the climb out was strenuous to say the least!

The views all along this trail are fabulous, and Cedar Ridge provides a nice 360 degree vantage point.

Watch out for the squirrels though. They are brazen thieves! These are the sorts of distractions that bedevil me.

There were no thieving squirrels on my second Arizona hike, only cute little lizards frolicking and gamboling on the canyon walls. The second drawing was created about 3.5 miles up the West Fork/Call of the Canyon trail in Oak Creek Canyon, not far from Sedona, Arizona.

Oak Creek Canyon abstracted (D20090906)This was a lovely hike, mostly level, through a lush, well-watered canyon with a mix of deciduous and evergreen trees, including the Ponderosa pine, maples and, of course, oaks. I even happened upon a walnut tree, of all things! Plus ferns, and what I'm pretty sure were horsetails. All around the canyon ways of whitish-yellow and red sandstone rise hundreds of feet. A sign said that this sandstone was formed from coastal sand dunes some 270-275 million years ago. My, how times have changed!

You can take a closer look at the drawings on my flickr page. I'll be posting photographs from the trip soon.

No comments: