Friday, February 15, 2008

Goings on about town: Rufus Wainwright introduces Blackout Sabbath!

Hey folks, I hope you all had a wonderful Valentine's Day. I sure did. A highlight of my day was the great show Rufus Wainwright gave at Radio City Music Hall last night -- he's certainly one of the best singer/songwriters around these days. I hadn't been in Radio City in what seems like ages (admittedly, I don't get out much). The space itself is worth a visit -- a wonderful example of 1930s Art Deco/Machine Age style.

During his show, Rufus introduced an idea for an environmental consciousness raising event that I think is great; he's calling it "blackout sabbath." What's proposed is that on June 21st, which is the summer solstice for us folks in the northern hemisphere, everyone commits to turning off all of their electricity (even fridges) for a full 12 hours, (say, from 12 noon to 12 midnight) and then uses the time to enjoy life naturally, and then make a list of all the things one can do throughout the year to help the environment.

See what he has to say on the blackoutsabbath.org website, and consider joining in on the voluntary blackout!

He's also doing an unplugged concert on March 19 to promote the idea, here in New York. I think I'll have to go ...

2 comments:

FRiTZ said...

Thank you for sharing this information about an important issue and an important figure in music. I have had much pleasure seeing Rufus several times at various venues as well as Martha @ Hotel Cafe in Los Angeles. It would be especially great to be apart of the Black Out Sabbath concert on March 19th @ Angel Orensanz Foundation in New York City. Tickets were soldout lightening fast for obvious reasons. IF you or anyone knows of a kind soul with an extra ticket or two, please consider me please. It would be most appreciated! Thank you. CHEERS! -FRiTZ

John said...

Thanks Fritz! I'll keep you in mind if I happen upon any extra tickets.