Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Tornado hits Brooklyn

We had a really bad commute this morning. I had no idea that one of the problems was a tornado (yes, a tornado!) in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn about 60 blocks south of Hominy Grits Headquarters.

Everything's just fine around here. We had a tremendous amount of rain between 5 and 7 this morning, and then things seemed to have calmed down by the time I headed to the subway. Little did I know that the first tornado to hit Brooklyn at least since 1950 (the year that modern records of tornados commenced) touched down in the vicinity of 58th street at about 6:30 a.m.

I didn't know about the twister until late this afternoon. Apparently not many did, since the National Weather Service did not at first confirm the event. I guess the evidence (buildings with no roofs and so forth) was hard to ignore.

The Union Street station on the R and M lines was full of water. Sorry excuse for a journalist that I am, I didn't even think to take a picture. It looked as if we might need to paddle our way to work. Trains were running however, and several hours later, I finished my commute. Some had it much worse.

Weather continues to be soupy. The grits are starting to wilt.

No comments: