Saturday, December 09, 2006

On the Web: Orson's hot picks

Here are a few blogs and websites of note, found by Orson while I've been busy elsewhere:

First: Wikispecies! As their main page says:

Wikispecies is a project supported by the Wikimedia Foundation with a great potential. It is meant to become an open, free directory of species. This will cover Animalia, Plantae, Fungi, Bacteria, Archaea, Protista and all other forms of life to the extent that our users allow us. So far we have 79,997 articles.

"Wikispecies is free. Because life is public domain!"


This is great. I especially like their emphasis on public domain. The commodification of nature is one of the great evils of our time.

Do you like snow and cold? If so, check out this fascinating blog: Antarctica, by David Ruth. Mr. Ruth is an artist who has received a grant to study natural ice and snow formations in that big continent at the bottom of the world. Is that cool or what?

Now, if Orson could just find me a blog on Greenland. I am fascinated by Greenland these days ...

2 comments:

A.J. said...

I went on the wikipedia animal site. It was a good website but i thought that it was kind of hard to understand. I think that you should put Searchasaurus as one of Orson's hot picks. PS How is Orson?

A.J. said...

Hey Dr. A check out my blog by clicking on A.J. at the top. I just put it up after school today.

- Aidan