Monday, December 04, 2006

On Philately: Recent Acquisitions

A few of you may know that, in addition to all the other crazy things I do, I'm also a stamp collector. Actually, I've only very recently come back to the hobby. My grandfather got me started when I was a kid and when I inherited his collection last year, I decided to revive the pastime.

Collecting stamps is like collecting art -- on a very small scale. Unlike art collecting, you don't have to be rich to enjoy it. With the exception of those few rare items and oddities, most postage stamps can be had for mere pennies (or nickels and dimes, as the case may be).

Over the weekend, I realized that it might be nice to share some of my recent acquisitions online - like any art, it should be seen - and digital imaging and the Internet make that very easy.

So, here are a few of my recent acquisitions:

First, three items from Austria (Oesterreich, in German. The 'O' should have an umlaut (little dots) over it, but since I don't know how to type one of those, I'll substitute the "Oe." I think that's allowed. Any Germanic readers want to educate me on this issue?):

These are from three different eras in Austrian history. The first is a piece from around 1916-1918 - at the very end of the Habsburg Imperial days.


The second is from the first republic (between the world wars). It depicts Siegfried slaying the Dragon.







The third is from recent years. It's a beauty. Depicted is a work of art by Ernst Steiner called "Lebensbaum."









I also recently obtained this nice U.S. stamp from around 1925:


Enjoy!

(p.s. trying to upload the images and format this post was a real pain. Beta-blogger really needs to improve in this area.)

4 comments:

Aquilifer said...

"The 'O' should have an umlaut (little dots) over it, but since I don't know how to type one of those, I'll substitute the "Oe." I think that's allowed."

Definitely--I'd say it's allowed. (A German teacher I knew claimed that J.W. von Goethe in fact changed the spelling of his surname from the original umlaut--because he was great enough to get away with it!)

My Mac keyboard also allows me to type "œ" using option-q & "æ" using option-[apostrophe/quote key]. I still don't know how to do the real thing...

John said...

Thanks! Interesting bit about Goethe. Perhaps he was involved in some of the orthographic reform movements that were around during his time?

aidan said...

Those are cool stamps

John said...

Thanks. Aidan!