Monday, June 20, 2005

An artist's statement, of sorts


I may have found a new direction for hominy grits. I've changed my masthead accordingly, placing art first, with politics demoted to last, for the time being. I'll leave the current events commentary to those more qualified (see some of the excellent blogs I link on the sidebar), at least until I'm really pissed off about something.

And yes, I've been reading the 'e' section of the dictionary lately.

I'm attempting to create a sketch a day; above shall be today's. I bought some new Derwent pencils; today's piece is the trial run. Pretty nice. Some colors don't scan well, but you get the idea, at least. The last several drawings are about 3.5" by 3.5" in size -- that's how I can finish them so fast.

The 'lifeform' series maps out a natural history of the imagination. Think of them as organisms that could be -- or aliens from some other world.

Just for kicks, I've subtitled this one 'solstice.' Summer begins (has begun) at 6:46 UTC -- about 2:46 a.m. New York time.

No comments: