Monday, November 08, 2004

Orson's weekly cyber-culture gazette

While I'm busy all day down in the diamond mines, my beady-eyed ursine advisor and fortune-teller, Orson the Magnificent idles away his time surfing the 'net on my computer. Here's his latest report on the remarkable goings-on in cyber-world.

~~This may not be news to some people, but only just recently I discovered my newest avenue of task-avoidance and time-wasting -- the Blogshares online market trading game. This game is another of those "fantasy" games that allows ordinary cyber-folks (and bears) engage in simulations of real-world activities completely risk-free. It seems they are everywhere these days. Until recently John had a co-worker who was completely addicted to fantasy baseball and his own father is hooked on fantasy golf (he thinks his own brother dallies in fantasy football, but can't confirm that rumor at the moment).

There's also a fantasy stock market game, and it's even used in many a school to teach students about the workings of the real market.

Blogshares is a little more fantastic (read that as 'unreal') than all those others, although it's set up to work in a fashion similar to that of the real stock market. Players buy shares in Blogs. The valuation of any Blog is determined by the number of incoming links it has, and it's price is based partly on that and also on how frequently it's traded. The valuation is a rating of how well the blog is doing in its industry (thematic category).

At least I think that's how it works. I haven't been playing too long, and I'm still trying to figure out all of the nuances. I never was that good at the real stock market anyway.

Just about any blog can be traded in the game, whether or not the blog's owner is involved in the game. Of course, if you have a blog, you can play and claim ownership of your blog. You automatically are reserved 1000 shares in your own blog. (By the way, I now own shares in quite a few of the fine blogs linked from here.)

Hominy grits is listed on Blogshares, and not doing too bad for an itty-bitty little blog.

Well, I could go on, but I have to get back to my trading. Orson the Magnificent aims at total market domination! ~~
Thanks Orson! If you have some little aspect of cyber-culture you'd like Orson to take a look at (a new blog, some weird phenomenon or another, whatever), just send me a note. I'll be sure to let him know. But remember, Orson's attention span is pretty short; after all, he's only a plush toy.

No comments: