Saturday, October 23, 2004

Of mice and men ...

Remember my furry friend? I heard nothing more from him for a long time, after I removed the source of his temptation.

But As September rolled into October and the nights began to grow chilly, the pitter-patter of little feet (or BIG ones?!? They sure sounded bigger ...) resonated from behind my stove and possibly even within it. In frustration, the little rodent chewed up some paper on my kitchen counter, no doubt angry at the lack of rice.

Finally, maybe a week ago, I saw on several occasions a gray blur streak across the kitchen floor.

Now, few men (or women) can tolerate the sensation of a gray blur out of the corner of the eye, especially when it occurs in the kitchen. I was getting creeped out.

Then last Sunday evening, I heard it. It was in the garbage can. How it managed to climb in I couldn't say. These rodents have amazing powers! I had just emptied the garbage and there was nothing in the new plastic bag but an old sour cream container I had just tossed in.

I saw my opportunity and took it. Quickly I grabbed that bag, with Friend rodent within, tied a knot in the top so he(she) couldn't escape, and gingerly took the bag with thief within down to the trash.

Rodent Outwitted! Thus ended round two of man versus mouse.

No comments: