Saturday, October 23, 2004

The amazing vanishing blogger!

Well, it's been an unconscionably long time since I last posted to this blog. You've probably wondered what's become of me (if you noticed).

I can't possibly go into all the details, but one of my distractions has been LINUX. Yes, first I went way low-tech with the letter-writing jag, and now I've gone hi-tech with Open Source, Free Software.

I am now proud to say that I am virtually entirely Windoze free, except at work.

I've had an interest in Linux for some time, but what really pushed me into giving it a go in earnest was homepage hijacker. Maybe you've also been so unfortunate to have this little nasty take over your Microsoft Internet Explorer? That and all the spyware, viruses and general instability of my Microsoft operating system (plus a little free time at the end of the Summer) encouraged me to endure hours of frustration getting Debian GNU/Linux up and running at home.

It's not for the faint of heart, but well worth it. I guess I'm a geek at heart, after all. It's also Free, after a fashion. Free as in 'free speech,' a right in serious jeopardy these days.

And my machine has been up and running (no rebooting) for 14 days in a row! Try that on Windoze.

Anyway, I've created a modest little work of art with all my new toys. Check it out!

No comments: