Tuesday, April 13, 2004

News from the green front

Ok, it's that time of the week again -- the miners are grumpy, and little time to spare for blogging. Thus, I'll resort once again to a little judicious copy and paste, this time from an article forwarded to me by my green connections (aka my old professor).

I'll just give you the first part, and you can click on your way to the rest -- which is, I presume, from a "sourced," albeit, British publication (See greenideas coverage of the Howell Raines piece in the Atlantic Monthly, in which he mentions "Britain's declining newspaper values").

Now the Pentagon Tells Bush: Climate Change Will
Destroy Us

Secret Report Warns of Rioting and Nuclear War; Threat
to the World is Greater than Terrorism

By Mark Townsend and Paul Harris


February 22, 2004 by the Observer/UK

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/print/0,3858,4864237-102275,00.html

"Climate change over the next 20 years could result in a
global catastrophe costing millions of lives in wars
and natural disasters..

"A secret report, suppressed by US defense chiefs and
obtained by The Observer, warns that major European
cities will be sunk beneath rising seas as Britain is
plunged into a 'Siberian' climate by 2020. Nuclear
conflict, mega-droughts, famine and widespread rioting
will erupt across the world.

"The document predicts that abrupt climate change could
bring the planet to the edge of anarchy as countries
develop a nuclear threat to defend and secure dwindling
food, water and energy supplies. The threat to global
stability vastly eclipses that of terrorism, say the
few experts privy to its contents. ..."

Come to think of it, this sounds interesting, but I'm not so sure I buy it either. Read the rest and tell me what you think.

No comments: